Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sherlock Holmes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 am

Note: I have never read any Sherlock Holmes book in my life. I know very little of the base character. Which is probably why the movie was made in the style it was, since a majority of people only know Holmes is a damn good detective and nothing more. If anyone here has seen the movie, and knows the character from reading the books, feel free to add your opinion to this.

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps the only well known fictional character, that has yet to be given a major film treatment. Sure there are a few in the two dollar bin at any given store, but those are mostly made for T.V. movies and such. Lets all be honest here. Holmes, for being such a beloved character and full of lore, is extremely under used. Most people in today's world only know of him being a great detective through various Star Trek episodes and any other cultural references on him; but the character himself has yet to be completely brought to life, until now.

Lets get one thing out of the way: This is not the story book Sherlock Holmes. Most the key components are here though. He's anti-social, preforms experiments, plays violin, has his pipe, and can spot the littlest things and use them as major clues. But he is also, a drinker, boxer, dresses less fashionably, and according to Watson, has a lack of hygiene.

With that aside, Robert Downey Jr. is great in this role, given the character traits he's showing. A good fit. You can really look at him in this movie and think, he's Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law also makes a great Watson, though he is a rather young one since most cultural references have you believe he's older. And for a Doctor, he really knows how to use a gun.

The overall style of the movie is more like a comic book movie, than a detective movie (but watching everything meld together in the end is still just as satisfying). Sherlock is portrayed sort of like a mixture of Batman's detective skills (heightened to Sherlock level), and a toned down Tony Stark behavior. (Also Tsumi, he's not a ladies man at all. He never flirts in the movie, and only has one girl he's interested in because they have a past). If any of you actually read the books, and know the true character, and take this as a reason not to watch, take this into consideration: They knew 8 out of 10 people hardly even know the real Sherlock Holmes. They knew making the movie this way would create greater interest, and it works.

The action in this movie is superb. One could say its like watching an episode of CSI, which can be considered a plus. There is hardly (if any) dull moments in this movie that has you bored to tears or feeling awkward. The fighting is built to be more quick than flashy, making it appear more realistic, and the special effects meld perfectly with the background, making them appear as real as ever. The humor, also good. The comic relief moments are never foolishly pushed in, they are all perfectly timed, and worth a good chuckle or two.

To put it lightly, this is a good movie. Yes they are taking liberties with the character, but it all works perfectly (for those that have no knowledge of the books). Even if you feel disappointed by the approach, I highly recommend giving this movie a watch, even if you wait to rent it from Red Box. Don't pass this up.

Last edited by Seigfreid on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Tsumi

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm

It will be interesting to hear your opinion on this movie. I've nothing but bad reviews and personally I think making Sherlock Holmes an action hero that's a ladie's man is so anti his character in the books I'm not sure I'd touch it.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Just to clear-up no movie or tv incarnation has as acurrately protrayed the character as Jeremy Brett's and all of them are a tad inaccurate. So actually the popular view of him is inaccurate as to the books.

He never was prissy, though like a typical Victorian gentleman, but took pride in his appearance. Also never touched, accept in Brett's version, was that he used cocaine believing it to help free his mind to think which Watson hated and tried to curb.

Basically he was more brain over braun in this approach but he did know how to fight (martial type or boxing if I remember right) though the only cases in which he would was with Moriarty since he couldn't out-think him.

Basically his ego made him feel he was above most people, especially women who he looked down on in general (accept for one woman in a story who was all he ever was attracted too which I think this one in this movie was based on), because he could out think them which is often interpereted as being antisocial behavior. He actually enjoyed being around people that were more brilliant (especially his brother) or intelligent in different ways as Watson was which Sherlock is quick to point out to Watson himself on a few occasions. Holmes rarely had fights since he could out-think people so that's why I have a bit of the problem with the action hero angle.

I'll probably watch it and just try to turn off the "book" Sherlock from my thinking. lol.

Edit:

I went back just to refresh my memory and it does describe Sherlock as Bohemian but not unkempt. Basically he was eccentric and not into fashion but not unsanitary. He didn't keep an especially orderly house environment either but was never explained to be a pig lol.
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 12:00 am

Well Tsumi, after reading what you had to say, and remembering what I saw in the movie, they sort of did a half and half portrayal of Holmes. Action hero, and book style. I'm sure you'll like this movie.
Back to top Go down
Nesirae
Calator Fantomatic
Calator Fantomatic
Nesirae

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I loved this movie and I'm a big Holmes fan. The movie explains why Watson can use a gun. Also, I loved how they portrayed both characters in a comic book sense. If I was to write a comic book based on Sherlock Holmes, this movie would be the film adaptation. ^^
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I saw it last night with my friend and I loved it.

I was worried it would be really over the top but I think it met a nice balance. I liked Robert Downy Jrs take on Holmes. The biggest difference I think was the physical hygene thing.

Its storyline and feel sort of reminded me of another fun take on Holmes by Speilberg which I enjoy "Young Sherlock Holmes".
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:08 pm

See? I told you you'd enjoy it Very Happy

Its official people, my word is truth! Mwhahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sherlock Holmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes   Sherlock Holmes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sfant Umbra :: Out Of Character Realm :: OOC General Chat :: Movie Reviews-
Jump to: