Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Deloka
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch Empty
PostSubject: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 am

I never even knew RP existed in FFXI at all. So i am delighted to find this LS (almost said guild! ha)

Anyways, a little backstory on myself for a second, I've played tons of MMOs everything from Meridian 59 to Ultima Online to EverQuest 1 and 2 to World of Warcraft and prly a 100 more ive atleast tried in some way. I was recently playing WoW until my video card decided to break on me. Upset about my lack of ability to reliabley play any decent PC based MMO with only an on board video card I saw my copy of FFXI for the 360 in my closet and said eureka!(run on sentence i know)

I thought about it for a bit then i realized "well that game was fun for a while but the harsh grind and lack of very interesting community really got to me after a while" I cruised the net a bit looking for some reason to wanna try it again then I noticed some RP thread on Dreams in Vanadiel to which one persons response had a link to this site in their signature. Excited I read about the LS a bit and said what the heck! This could give the game new life for me!

So I opened my account back up and THEN I realized I'm not on the right server! (d'oh!) My only char a Taru BLM20/RDM12 is on Carbuncle Sad. Then I remembered that I largely regretted being a Taru and always wanted to try a Galka RDM or something else interesting for that race.

So long story short, I'm very interested in your LS. Couple concerns though:

1) I don't know much about the lore at all, are you guys willing to work with people on that stuff?

2) I'd be starting completely fresh as a level 1 newbie especially since I barely remember how to play at this point(the learning curve always seemed rough on this game) Is that ok with you guys? I'm not a newb to MMOs by any means so i am quick to learn.(especially since I have played it before twice actually once on PC though i hated it on PC lol)

I'm not a kid either i'm 25 so its not like i'm a 10 year old asking for my hand to be held or anything.

3) I thought there was a 3 but maybe there isnt...lol

Alright i'm done sorry for the novel just kinda happened. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. I didn't want to just apply right away before I really have any idea what i'm doing right now especially RP Lore wise.

-Deloka
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

Welcome back to XI. Yes, there's been an RP community almost since the game started, we were just forced to stay in the shadows.

We would be glad to have you join us, and even more glad to help you out with the lore. We have a section here on the forums dedicated to that, which I suggest you start reading, along with our section on role playing rules.

Just post an In Character letter to our council leaders, and keep an eye out for us in game.

Just a quick note though: A lot of us, myself included, are having real life issues that are keeping us from the game, so there will be times the shell is a little empty, also since most of the people on here seem to live on the Western coast of America and come on between 8-10 p.m. their time (I live on Eastern size). We have been getting a lot of newer members though, but I haven't been on enough to see if their keeping the shell populated all the time.

But don't let that get you down, we hope to see you rping with us. Its a good experience, and for me it has always kept me in the game.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Nice to see you here. I'm the one on DIV that talked to you.

Go ahead and put in an application we try to b helpful. Like Seig said there periods on and off where we might get stuck with rl stuff.

I'll be back on Wed myself.
Back to top Go down
Deloka
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 am

Tsumi wrote:
Nice to see you here. I'm the one on DIV that talked to you.

Go ahead and put in an application we try to b helpful. Like Seig said there periods on and off where we might get stuck with rl stuff.

I'll be back on Wed myself.

alright i will, busy few days myself so might not be till the weekend. Still have to decide what i want to do character wise. Very tough, I want something some what interesting that is versatile and can solo some if needed. But at the same time i don't want to have to level 10 different jobs just to get one I want lol. So i think i might go with a hume rdm/war or rdm/whm or something of that sort not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 am

It depends on what you really want in the way of style. If you're a magic user then a RDM isn't all that bad of an idea. In fact I think it's RDM/NIN for Utsu and Dual Wield that people go for. You could always go with Summoner for the avatar versatility, Scholar for the 3-in-1 combo, or even Blue Mage.

For DD there's always Beastmaster, Dragoon (DRG/WHM or DRG/SCH), or Puppetmaster. But like I said, it depends on your preference. From personal experience I'd suggest DRG/WHM, SMN/WHM, or SCH/WHM. Soloing as SCH is a little trickier but if you can learn how to Carby kite you can pretty much solo your way up there with Summoner. For Red Mage I think it can get very costly to ensure you have the best gear possible to actually survive. But overall, having WHM as a sub gives you many more versatile options and can work as a backup/main healer if going SMN/WHM or SCH/WHM.

A little long but hope that helps.

EDIT: Also they've thrown in a few new features that makes leveling easier since you might've last played. EXP boosting rings earned via conquest points, the Field Manual training regimens offer gil and EXP for killing target enemies, a very nice feature for soloing trips. I believe every outdoor area in the original FFXI areas (Non-expansions aside from Zilart I think.) has one of these books you can pick up a bounty from. Kill x amount of enemies of specific types and after you finish the last enemy on the list you're immediately awarded EXP and gil based upon difficulty of the list.
Back to top Go down
https://sfantumbra.forum.st
Deloka
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

ah...guess i'll have to figure it out. One thing i never liked about FFXI the job system is just too much considering how hard leveling is on this game. I mean it might take me a month or more just to unlock the jobs i want to actually use lol
Back to top Go down
Hasuke
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:50 am

I just saw a post of your's on the dreams in vana'diel board after googling "Asura RP Linkshell"

It makes me glad to see a big active group of rpers, and I'm working on posting up my introduction letter. Looking forward to playing with you all.
Back to top Go down
Deloka
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Dreams of Vanadiel is really working for this LS lol
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Quote :
alright i will, busy few days myself so might not be till the weekend. Still have to decide what i want to do character wise. Very tough, I want something some what interesting that is versatile and can solo some if needed. But at the same time i don't want to have to level 10 different jobs just to get one I want lol. So i think i might go with a hume rdm/war or rdm/whm or something of that sort not sure yet.

Hi there:

Sorry I didn't notice the posts yesterday. I ended up not getting on since I had to put my 15 year old lovebird to sleep and I just didn't feel up to posting or playing.

Pre-level 30 parties generally won't care about sub. They'll ask you to support the main healer so while you enfeeble the mob and melee you'll just have to watch the heal bars of your pt and the mp bar of the white mage.

Actually for soloing now at level 10 I'd go RDM/BLM but you also should take the time to level /WHM also. RDM with a DD sub isn't really taking advantage of their abilities. As you get higher the key to good RDM soloing is DOT and DD subs take no advantage of your Enhancing and Enfeebling skills. Since RDM is so versatile you will be needing to level up several subs for varying situations. Here's the ones you should get:

/BLM- Give you some extra elemental damage and a few extra enfeebles. The boost it gives INT also helps with the strength of the nukes. Until you get so you can get a better soloing sub this one will help you take down your prey faster. Really the way to go is pull with Dia, Bind, Slow and Paralyze. By then it should be able to move. Now while your meleeing it will hit you less. Wait to use your nukes until its about half down concentrating on self curing and recasting enfeebles. Then nuke it sevral times, using its weakness, if possible.

/WHM- The sub parties will ask for. The reason for this actually changes over time but they've figured things and feel the role they want us to fill is healing, enhancing and enfeebling if possible. The MND boost helps with healing plus you get some additional enhancing people like to have around.

Once you retreat to backline in parties at 30 you'll be focusing more on Enfeebling and Debuffing the mobs while supporting the healer. with occasional nukes. Once you get Refresh you'll be a "Refresh Whore" for awhile, levels 40 til around 55/60 while enfeebling and debuffing. At higher levels they want you to pretend to be a WHM with Refresh basically and debuffing or enfeebling as needed.

/SCH- I still need to get this but you have the ability to boost both MND and INT while gaining extra spells. This one people have found useful in different situations especially events.

/NIN- This is the most common soloing sub. The reason is primarily Utsemi. Stacking it with Bink, Phalanx and Stoneskin will help you take less damage as you wear the mob down with DOT. Plus the 2nd sword coupled with your enspells with those enffebles all gradually wear down the mob. Again be sparing with nukes until the mob is 1/2 or more down. With patience and stratedgy there seems to be almost nothing a RDM/NIN can't solo.

/BLU- Extra damage mitigating spells plus some great DD spells make this a great choice in many situations. I'm currently going to be raising mine for Campaign (where taking damage and healing it gives you points) and I've already found mobs with less defense also are good targets to solo on this.

/DNC, /DRK and /PLD- Are situational endgame subs though some enjoy soloing in similiar situations I've explained above under BLU. I've only tried /DRK soloing so far and not that much so I won't comment much on these.

In general, since RDM is not meant by game mechanics to be a weapon based DD the DD subs don't really help you much.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi!

I'll be on now for the next few days at night Pacific time. I'll look for those that have applications up.
Back to top Go down
Deloka
Latrines Scrubber
Latrines Scrubber

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:53 pm

ah its so difficult i've been mulling this stuff over as i go through my day lol. My toughest decision is race. I really do like Taru a lot but at the same time the fact that they are teeny teeny tiny when you're running (the view distance is way to far in my opinion) always kinda bugged me a bit. Plus I'm not sure i wanna RP the hello wello goofy talk though I suppose that could be overlooked if I assume some other type of history for my char besides a standard taru life.

Part of me is seriously considered just doing a blm/whm at this point for the simplicity of it all. I've always enjoyed casters so why fight it? lol I know BLM can be kinda a bitch to solo and level up early on. How are whm though?
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am

Ig there are taru that don't speak with a Taru accent and a few variations. I myself use taru speak on one of my Taru while the other, since he's a scholar, doesn't. As long as it makes sense its fine.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 am

Tsumi wrote:
Ig there are taru that don't speak with a Taru accent and a few variations. I myself use taru speak on one of my Taru while the other, since he's a scholar, doesn't. As long as it makes sense its fine.

Oh yes like Tsumi said, it's not required at all to do accents for characters. Some Tarutaru speak with the rhyming accent, some might add "taru" to some words ending with "t" or where a strong presence of the sound is heard. Or as one Tarutaru in Windurst goes, just adding "taru" to the end of a sentence like Moogles do with "kupo".

When I RP'd as a Mithra I always rolled every r, after time I grew fast enough to do it without taking forever. And I know one of Tsumi's characters Ashtari will alternate with the rolling of the r's in sequence. So it might go something like... "I was wrong to believe you werre the culprrrit." when she RP'd.

EDIT: And a quick note to everyone here, I'll probably lurk around the forums here even if I'm no longer playing IG. I suppose Sair just might've decided to quit Sfant Umbra seeing as he felt he didn't fit in. He isn't nor any of my other characters, dead or deceased. I left it this way just for the off-chance I actually decide to return.
Back to top Go down
https://sfantumbra.forum.st
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch   Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi! You guys seem like a good bunch
Page 1 of 1