Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ponyo Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

Ponyo Review Empty
PostSubject: Ponyo Review   Ponyo Review I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 am

Sorry for the late review all. BTW, I only managed to watch a subtitled version of the film, which sucks cause I learned Liam Neeson had a major part in the english dub.

Ponyo

Hayao Miyazaki; some would consider him the Japanese equivalent of Walt Disney himself. His films including Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Kiki's Delivery Service have all won many awards and tell fabulous tales of fantasy and our connection with nature and technology. While most of his films have been in their own sense original, Ponyo could be considered a take on The Little Mermaid. How does it far up?

For starters, the animation in this movie is down right amazing. The style and color of the film just stands out perfectly, especially the under water scenes.

The plot itself, as I said, think Little Mermaid but with no real conflict. Little Mermaid had the evil sea witch that tried to use Ariel's voice to marry the prince, and gain control of the seas, but the only conflict in Ponyo is Ponyo (a goldfish) wishes to become human so she can live with a five year old boy she befriended, but her father (who is human) will not allow it. Even with a plot like that, as you are watching the film, none of the scenes really give you a sense of danger and worry as most Disney films will give you. There's no "Oh no, her father is dragging her away," or "Oh no, his father might be dead..."

You truly feel like everything is going to be all right in this film, but it some how does not seem to ruin it at all. The soundtrack just adds to the greatness the animation in each scene gives, especially when she's journeying to the surface after turning human.

The best thing about this film, is while watching it, it really makes you feel like a kid again. You feel your imagination beginning to take over your sense of reality and everything else around you just melts away. The music draws you in so easily, and the bond Ponyo shares with the boy can't help but remind you of your first child hood friend.

So by all means, see this film. Even if you were not a fan of Spirited Away or Howl, see this film at least once. Fans of Hayao's work will not be disappointed as well.
Back to top Go down

Ponyo Review
Page 1 of 1