Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS3... Old gen or new gen?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PS3... Old gen or new gen? Empty
PostSubject: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 am

Okay, with time rapidly approaching I can finally buy a PS3 which I've decided to do. My mind's made up, I want a PS3. However it comes at a problem... Do I go with a new-gen or an old-gen? Personally I don't give a crap about the Blu-Ray feature of the PS3, what I really want is the backwards compatibility. But from what I've been reading the older gen consoles have been suffering types of "Yellow Light of Death" similar to the 360's issues. At this time I have a perfectly working PS2 (And the 40GB HDD so I've got FFXI covered.) but I'd like to switch to just having a single console connected.

So here's the question... Do I just buy the new PS3 slim or work on getting a fat PS3 with PS2 compatibility and risk YLOD? I don't even USE FFXI on PS2 anymore these days but not having the compatibility just bugs me for some reason... I don't think I'm missing out on much... am I?
Back to top Go down
https://sfantumbra.forum.st
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:31 am

Well Sair here is my advice. If you truly want to stick to only having one console, you should go ahead and try to get your hands on a PS3 60 gig. I've had mine for a couple months now (refurbished by Game Stop) and had no yellow light yet (knock on wood, and even if I did I have a 1 year warrenty with them).

Just to warn you, there are only two ways to get one. Through e-bay, or Game Stop. If that prospect scares you, then you might as well go with the new slim.

Never worry about the hard drive size either. Any PS3 hard drive can be easily switched out by a Lap Top size hard drive that is buy able in stores.

BTW, when you finally get it, my Network ID is Theron80, and I currently have Team Fortress 2 (from Orange Box), Resident Evil 5, GTA IV, and Call of Duty 4 that I could play online with you with. Enjoy coming to the PS3 side Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 2:35 am

But question is how difficult it may be to find one. I haven't tried looking around yet but I'm on a somewhat limited budget so the 299 price tag is pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm not spending anywhere from 400-500 bucks for a system I'll likely use on off/moments. I'm really only looking to buy one now that I'm moving away from "downloading" my PS2 games to owning actual hard copies. Funny enough, Okami will be the first PS2 game I've bought in the last year or two. On top of that I'm getting a PS3 for FFXIV support in case my PC upgrades aren't enough to run it.
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Well in that case, you should just get the slim model. A used 60 gig from Gamestop still goes for 350 (used to be 450 but when the slim came out, they dropped the price), and unless the gamestops in your area have one, they'll have to get one sent to them by another store (I had mine come from Lexington, didn't work, then from one in my area, didn't work again, then finally from New York, that works. All I wasted was a few days of not having one, they were really nice to me).

So if the 299 price tag looks good, just grab the slim, and keep your PS2 somewhere.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Seigfreid wrote:
Well in that case, you should just get the slim model. A used 60 gig from Gamestop still goes for 350 (used to be 450 but when the slim came out, they dropped the price), and unless the gamestops in your area have one, they'll have to get one sent to them by another store (I had mine come from Lexington, didn't work, then from one in my area, didn't work again, then finally from New York, that works. All I wasted was a few days of not having one, they were really nice to me).

So if the 299 price tag looks good, just grab the slim, and keep your PS2 somewhere.

Yea... Seems that's my best option... Otherwise there's looking for a 20GB or 80GB... But 80 uses simulated PS2 emulation (Not fully compatible, and doesn't appear to work with FFXI.) and 20GB I think has limited functions or something. GameStop price quotes were $330 for the 60GB and $280 for the 20GB and 80GB models. So I may as well go with a slim after all. I hope they at least have backwards compatibility with PSX. I own the original copy of FFVII and don't care to buy it over PSN.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:22 am

Well, I managed to find (And buy) a PS3 off eBay. $269 bucks for a 60GB (The backwards compatible one.) model CECHA01. It's got some scuffs according to the description but for the price isn't so bad. Saves me a good hunk of change compared to paying $300+ for a new slim model. Dated to arrive to my location (with insurance) about the 5th of October. Next Saturday I wanna try picking up maybe at least 1 game to play on my system when it arrives but I'm not really sure as to what games are available on the PS3.

Any suggestions for RPG-based games? Also can PS2 memory cards be used on the PS3 or is a special converter needed?

EDIT: Looking more closely at the pictures I think the PS3 is actually just your standard piano black, I thought it had some kind of custom casing or something... But appears the seller used a really crappy camera with overly-used lighting.
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Want a good rpg type game? Get yourself Fallout 3. If you've played any Oblivion games, its exactly like that (since it was made by the same people). Very good, 100s of hours of gameplay, the kind of game where you can truly do whatever you feel like.

As for a ps2 memory card, you'll have to find a converter at gamestop or something, none of the ps3's have ports for a memory card, just SD cards and what not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Last edited by Darksamurai on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Seigfreid wrote:
Want a good rpg type game? Get yourself Fallout 3. If you've played any Oblivion games, its exactly like that (since it was made by the same people). Very good, 100s of hours of gameplay, the kind of game where you can truly do whatever you feel like.

As for a ps2 memory card, you'll have to find a converter at gamestop or something, none of the ps3's have ports for a memory card, just SD cards and what not.

Eh... I was actually referring to console-style RPGs... And I've played Oblivion, it's not too bad but if I got Fallout it would be for PC rather than PS3. Also I don't care too much for shooter titles.
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am

Eh...the PS3 doesn't have much for console rpgs until White Knight Chronicles comes out later this year. I've heard that the one that came out on the PS3's release (I can't remember the name of it. Lore or something? Where you play the chick that goes searching for her parents I think?) is okay, but a little short.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 am

Well I think I know what game I'm going for... Eternal Sonata is an RPG originating from 360 to PS3. I've seen my bro play it before and found myself highly interested in the title even to the point of considering getting a 360 later on down the line. Turns out it was released for PS3 after all so this'll likely be my first PS3 game picked up this Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3... Old gen or new gen?   PS3... Old gen or new gen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3... Old gen or new gen?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sfant Umbra :: Out Of Character Realm :: OOC General Chat-
Jump to: