Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragonball Evolution

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

Dragonball Evolution Empty
PostSubject: Dragonball Evolution   Dragonball Evolution I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Okay, lets get this one out of the way...

Dragonball Evolution

It seems that with the overall success of comic book movies, and the mediocre success of few video game movies, it seems Hollywood has set its eyes on japanese anime. The one major problem with this is some anime can not perfectly translate to live action form. Dragonball is one of them.

Now granted, with a well done script, and a good team, a live action version of Dragonball could be done, after all an adaption is taking one thing and molding it into something else while staying true to key points, not all 100% of it. Evolution was missing said script and team.

The list for what is wrong with this movie versus what is right is much, much longer, so lets go over what was passable first:

The style of the movie was actually passable, along with some special effects (mainly the power attacks).

Goku himself passed because of one scene. When he was being confronted by the bullies of his school, he mentioned that he promised not to fight them, but also said he wasn't going to run away anymore. So in true Goku style, he allows the bullies to throw their punches, ducking and dodging each one of them and causing them to hit each other; all the while laughing and poking fun in a nonchalant way. Even made one of them destroy their own car when they went after him with a ball bat.

The capsules passed because we believed them as kids watching the anime, so why not believe them now?

Now here is what was wrong:

Gohan (Goku's grandfather) was still alive

Master Roshi was in no way an pervert

Goku's ape form was not only controlled by Piccolo, but was only 7 feet tall

The love between Goku and Chi-chi was more sudden than ever

They called the power moves "Air Bending"

They pronounced Kamehameha "Ka-me-ha-me-ha" instead of "Kamehameha" like every time they mentioned it, they were saying it like they were using it, and somehow, the Kamehameha could act as a CPR method

Yamcha was more lame than he was in the anime (yes it was possible)

Venom was around more than Piccolo

Roshi could jump out of the damn hole they fell into, but instead sat there with everyone all night until Yamcha came!

For the love of all that is holy, do not let your curiosity get the better of you. Skip this movie, or have your childhood stomped on.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: Dragonball Evolution   Dragonball Evolution I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:34 am

Amazingly, even after reading this, I still think I'll rent this train wreck to see how rediculous it is for myself.
Back to top Go down
Chessirin
New Rookie
New Rookie
Chessirin

PostSubject: Re: Dragonball Evolution   Dragonball Evolution I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 6:15 am

My friend and myself agree. We'll watch it if someone else pays for it for us. We won't watch it unless someone else pays for it for us. Seems you confirmed this for me. Also everything I thought would be good, were (I'm actually surprised about the Goku scene you mentioned since I didn't think they'd do that) still I'm happy that they did Capsules and the Energy moves properly.
Back to top Go down
Seigfreid
Seigfreid

PostSubject: Re: Dragonball Evolution   Dragonball Evolution I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 am

Yeah, the scene with Goku playing around with the school bullies is itself worth a watch, but that's it lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragonball Evolution   Dragonball Evolution I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragonball Evolution
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sfant Umbra :: Out Of Character Realm :: OOC General Chat :: Movie Reviews-
Jump to: