Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Phishing RMT Scam

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tsumi
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Tsumi

New Phishing RMT Scam Empty
PostSubject: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

To hack into peoples accounts RMT have been sending people tells claiming to be GMs. In it they say your account is about to be frozen and give you a website to go to and lodge a complaint to get it unfrozen.

There it asks for all your account information and they then log onto your account and steal what you have.

More info is on this thread:

Allakhazam

SE has only issued a general warning that they will never contact people in game and tell them their account is frozen or direct them to a website.

Just keep an eye out since when a GM sends tells it will never appear as:

FFXI GM>>

or as

FFXI>>GM>>

Edit: I meant to say "or" not "but" here. Thanks for clarifying that Sair.

What I was trying to show in the above examples is these people are trying to make it seem they GM by either typing GM as part of their character name or in the first part of the chat log.

Last edited by Tsumi on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 pm

A GM name will have [GM] as a prefix to the name. So it would be "[GM]Playername" if it were a real GM. And if someone approaches you pretending to be a GM remember a few things...

1) A GM will be wearing a special type of armor (Red and Grey colored.) not accessible to other players.
2.) A GM will have a special "GM" flag by their name and the name will be displayed in red font.
3.) A GM character can only be a male or female Hume as there is no DAT models for GM Tarutaru, Mithra, or Galka.

GM Examples
New Phishing RMT Scam Im07New Phishing RMT Scam Im02

Link About GMs
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/rule/support01.html?pageID=support
Back to top Go down
https://sfantumbra.forum.st
Tsumi
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification Sair especially since it helped me see a mistype in my post. ;@.@.

Anyway it seems since the bans have players jumpy the scammers arebanking on people jumping on doing what they say without thinking so I thought it might be nice to give you all a heads-up.
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Tsumi wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Sair especially since it helped me see a mistype in my post. ;@.@.

Anyway it seems since the bans have players jumpy the scammers arebanking on people jumping on doing what they say without thinking so I thought it might be nice to give you all a heads-up.

That's okay Tsu. But unless it appears as:

[GM]Playername>>

Then it's not a GM. The [GM] must be tacked on before the name. And like Tsu said, a GM will never ask for your password, info, or direct you to another site to insert your information. Another big tips is if you visit/see these sites pay attention to the grammar and spelling on them. Majority of the time if it's a fake you can even spot it in the text on the page. SEI wouldn't make common mistakes such as forgetting periods, constant spelling errors, or poor sentence structure. An example would be a sentence that reads

"Please insert your informations into box below"

If you notice there is an extra "s" added onto word information, it should read "into the box", and there is an absence of punctuation being the period. It's little things that can give it away in a heartbeat. Most important of all, check the URL. I know Firefox does and I think IE should too, but in the bar at the bottom of the screen it should show the URL that the link will take you to. And I think SEI has mentioned this before... But any links regarding accounts should be linked directly to the official PlayOnline website (www.playonline.com).

And if all else fails, call an In-Game GM. If such information was true they'd confirm it. I know the whole thing is long-winded, I wanted to point out the lack of sense and half-assed attempts RMT try to go with. I almost find it funny at the pitiful attempts they make. With all the reports, people getting wiser, and mass bannings the STF make, how much money does the RMT profit from these days? Each time they're caught that's yet more money they need to spend on new software and time wasted restarting their operations.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Tsumi

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Here's a link to a screen capture of one of these tells:

https://2img.net/h/i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/Yasashiku86/FakeGM.jpg
Back to top Go down
SamusKnight2K
Igienic Preot
Igienic Preot
SamusKnight2K

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 4:21 am

Oh that site... I went to that site when they had it listed on Alla... It's a mock-up of the LS Community website. Nothing happens until you insert your username/password (I put in fakes just to be sure.) then it takes you to a link to install a "complaint patch" which dl's an executable to your computer. Of course since I have Firefox it blocks all attempts for auto-downloads unless the site has permission. Serious, the website just uses the LS Community layout and images with their own broken "engrish" text.

And yes I did a virus/spyware scan afterwards. Since I didn't allow the keylogger to execute it didn't compromise my system. Plus, POL is set up to save my password anyway... I lock my PC when not in use and only others in the apartment are my roomies.

EDIT: Something occurred to me... Couldn't SE use a disposable PC (Something that could probably be reformatted/cleaned.) to visit the site, let the keylogger install, then track where tries to send the data? From there they log the IP, contact the ISP provider where its sent then take legal action. I don't know if the above theory is applicable but if so it'll be a great way to find out where they're doing their operations from and nail'em.

EDIT 2: Off-topic but I LOVE the .hack//SIGN OST!
Back to top Go down
Chessirin
New Rookie
New Rookie
Chessirin

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 10:29 am

SamusKnight2K wrote:
EDIT: Something occurred to me... Couldn't SE use a disposable PC (Something that could probably be reformatted/cleaned.) to visit the site, let the keylogger install, then track where tries to send the data? From there they log the IP, contact the ISP provider where its sent then take legal action. I don't know if the above theory is applicable but if so it'll be a great way to find out where they're doing their operations from and nail'em.

EDIT 2: Off-topic but I LOVE the .hack//SIGN OST!

Indeed they could, but see the problem here is... it'd require work. More then what they're being allowed to do. They COULD do that, but see the other problem is that tracking back to them when using such a method can also be considered against the law as you're entering a foreign computer yourself and thus, you are also guilty of hacking. Certainly, you'll find the location and the evidence, but the evidence would be gained through unlawful means and thus would be compromised in any form or fashion. It's partially the reason they take SO long to get any work done. They're going through the longest and most contrived channels to succeed.

On the second note: Indeed! It's a wonderful soundtrack!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Phishing RMT Scam   New Phishing RMT Scam I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Phishing RMT Scam
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sfant Umbra :: Out Of Character Realm :: OOC Announcements-
Jump to: