Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

District-9 review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

District-9 review Empty
PostSubject: District-9 review   District-9 review I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 am

Sorry for being late again. My job has been (thankfully) giving me a lot of hours. So here is the review.

District-9

Take a minute to think of a list of alien movies you know. 10 dollars say that every movie in that list deals with the aliens attacking/working with/hiding from humans but do any of them deal with them being treated like worthless beings? Beaten, pushed around, forced to do things at gun point, being experimented on until death, then cut apart and studied like a biology class frog? If your answer to this is no, say hello to District-9.

District-9 is what one would consider a character study movie more than an action movie. The premise of the movie is this: A race of aliens known as the Praug, stall their ship above a South African city. When the humans finally cut into the ship, they find the aliens are starving and living in filth due to not being able to move or even send out a signal of any kind. At first, the human race is helpful, but once they are "settled" into District-9, the purest form of racism starts.

The aliens are treated almost, possibly even worse than the Japanese were while in concentration camps during WWII. The main character of the movie is charged with serving them eviction notices to have them moved to a District-10, but it is being done illegally (past the 24 hour notice). All the while, he takes joy in finding illegal weapons, having them arrested, and even setting fire to the eggs of a Praug movie since having babies among them were also illegal without a license.

That is until he accidentally sprays himself with a fuel like substance they aliens had been looking for to go home, and he begins to transform into one of them. What follows, is this one man's struggle to keep from becoming a living experiment for the humans, and from completely turning into one of the aliens.

Even though Peter Jackson is just the producer for the movie, his presence can definitely be felt. The alien effects are the most perfected I have ever seen. I honestly could not tell you if they were CG, or people in costumes, they were completely life like in every way. Even the alien weaponry seems to belong in reality. Nothing is over the top, nothing is made for looks other than functionality, it all integrates perfectly.

The story itself over shadows the action, instead of the other way around. You are really on the edge of your seat the entire way through, wondering what is going to happen next, is he going to survive, when will the assholes get theirs? Every bit of this movie is filled with strong emotion and plot points that make you truly think of yourself as a human being.

Dark Knight may have had 2008, but District-9 definitely holds 2009. If you have yet to see this movie, do yourself a favor and see it. You will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down

District-9 review
Page 1 of 1