Sfant Umbra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sfant Umbra began as a secret mercenary business within the depths of the Aht Urhgan Empire. With the rise and fall of business it slowly faded from memory. That is, until a descendant of the creator happened across some old parchments one day...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

G.I. Joe review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Seigfreid
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Sfant Umbran Movie Reviewer
Seigfreid

G.I. Joe review Empty
PostSubject: G.I. Joe review   G.I. Joe review I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:52 am

Sorry for being the little late, given that the movie did come out last Friday, but I am here now. I'm afraid I never grew up on the original G.I. Joe, so I can not truly compare this movie to anything.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Yet again, Hollywood decides to take a beloved cartoon show from the 1980's and turn it into a full length, live action movie. Seeing how Transformers earned the big bucks (and a lot of lovers and haters), what reason would they have not to? But then again, this mind set could be a deal breaker.

G.I. Joe: RoC was directed and partially rewritten by the same director known for The Mummy trilogy, which were all well received movies, so one would believe the Joes were in good hands. Instead, you get a good director imitating Micheal Bay, and not in a good way (mind you I loved both Transformers movies, but even I agree Bay can be a little rambunctious at times).

As an abide movie goer, I can honestly say I have never had a movie be so LOUD during the action scenes while sitting in the theaters. There were times the explosions and gunfire were almost unbearable. But that is not so big a problem, more of a minor annoyance; the problems really start once the Joes and Cobra's show up.

The movie does not give an actual year it is placed in, once Baroness shows up in her design concept jet fighter, that can go from hovering in the air to flying and mach 3 in seconds, firing what appears to be pulse cannons, you can not help but tilt your head a bit. Although the original cartoon may have pulled off this same stunt, they at least showed that such technology was available military wide and considered the norm. In RoC, everyone not familiar with the existence of the Joes give a big WTF?

So yes, the movie is an orgy of very, very over the top special effects that you can not help but wonder why it is in a movie about normal, everyday soldiers that are part of a secret, government organization. James Bond was the same, and the only argument against him was never even being shot. I did praise the special effects in Transformers, but one must remember that Transformers was about giant, alien robots beating the hell out of each other. Joes is about soldiers. Just soldiers, who have technology that only exist on paper at this time, and they are the only ones that have it. I know I kind of sound like a hypocrite, but it all really seems wrong.

The camera is everywhere. Yes, this trendy "shaky-cam" has found its way into the hands of Sommers, and it was terrible. Even in scenes that is nothing but dialogue, he can not let the camera stand still.

As much as I bash this movie, there is some good to it.

Ray Park is amazing as Snake Eyes, just because its Snake Eyes. The last 45 minutes of the movie, everything from the camera to the special effects almost seem to come down from the sugar high they were on. You get a nice, steady shot of the fight scene between Snake and Shadow, and the under water, one-person submarine battle makes you feel like you're watching Return of the Jedi's space battle; and it is good.

To sum this all up, I only have one thing to say. If you hated the Transformers movies, do not bother seeing this (especially if you were a G.I. Joe fan). But by all means, at least see it once if you are still curious after reading.

Wow, a second movie I all but tore up. I'm enjoying this lol.
Back to top Go down
Tsumi
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Omaria Emir (Comandant Rosu)
Tsumi

G.I. Joe review Empty
PostSubject: Re: G.I. Joe review   G.I. Joe review I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 am

Hi Seig:

Sorry I've been too lazy to post on these lately.

I never really wtched GI Joe regularly so I don't feel qualified to comment on the cartoon so much. I can say I like FX only put together well and am picky so I'm not sure if I'll pay to see this on the big screen.
Back to top Go down

G.I. Joe review
Page 1 of 1